Archive | NewsworthyRSS feed for this section

25, June 2013

Museum Hosts Special Presentation with Author Douglas Scott Brookes

Join us on June 25 at the Missouri History Museum to hear author Douglas Scott Brookes discuss his book, Up North: St. Louis's Summer Colonies on Lake Huron in the Golden Age of Travel, published by MHM Press.

Photo at left: Dawn Meadows Dixon and Teacha Tigue, radio personalities on 1380 AM, interviewed Douglas Scott Brookes about his latest book. Brookes is in town to discuss and sign his book. Read more »

31, May 2013

The St. Louis Classical Guitar Society Turns 50

The St. Louis Classical Guitar Society, recognized as one of the best of its kind in the country, turns 50 on June 9. Since its inception in 1963 the Society has presented over 250 concerts and master classes from the world’s finest guitarists. Highly renowned classical and flamenco guitarists have drawn packed houses in St. Louis for the past five decades. Read more »

28, May 2013

The Man Who Inspired Documentary on Civil Rights

In 1977, the course of Walter Naegle’s life changed as he walked down the street in Times Square and into the path of activist Bayard Rustin. Many people today may not be familiar with Rustin’s civil rights’ contributions, but Walter Naegle had already heard about the man who served as lead organizer for the March on Washington with Dr. King and who fought for people’s rights throughout the world. However, what Naegle didn’t know in that moment is that he would fall in love and eventually follow in Rustin’s footsteps by dedicating his life to social justice.  Read more »

21, May 2013

A Garden Blooms from Monticello's Seeds

This spring, I was invited to present our Teaching About Slavery program at the National Council for History Education conference in Richmond, VA. It turned out to be the perfect opportunity to visit Monticello’s gardens in preparation for our Gillette Family Garden project here at the Museum. Read more »

1, May 2013

Nation's First Jefferson Memorial Turns 100

Back in 1898, Pierre Chouteau (representing the Missouri Historical Society) began a campaign to bring a World’s Fair Exposition to St. Louis. Committees formed and plans were made, with Fair planners ultimately choosing Forest Park as the site for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. There was a stipulation, however, that Forest Park would be returned to a park after the Fair was over. Just one building could remain, the Palace of Fine Arts, which houses the Saint Louis Art Museum today. The Fair opened on April 30, 1904, to a crowd of 200,000 people. Read more »

30, April 2013

And In Other News: Opening Day at the 1904 World's Fair Overshadows Train Crash

At 12:15 p.m., on the afternoon of April 30, 1904, David R. Francis declared, “Open ye gates. Swing wide, ye portals.” With those words, the grandest event in St. Louis history was underway. Nearly 190,000 people ascended on Forest Park for the opening day of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, remembered today as the 1904 World’s Fair. Read more »

14, February 2013

Ending What Started in St. Louis

The International Olympic Committee’s decision to eliminate wrestling from the 2020 Olympics has left many athletes and fans of that sport worried about its future. At the Missouri History Museum, it left us thinking about the past and the unique role that St. Louis has played in both Olympic and wrestling history.

The 1904 Summer Olympics marked not only the first time the Games were hosted by an American city, but also the first time that freestyle wrestling made an appearance in the Olympics. Read more »

6, February 2013

Documentary Tells Struggle of Interracial Couple in 1950s Virginia

The Missouri History Museum's mission involves deepening the understanding of past choices, even on the possibly unexpected topic of love. The Loving Story will screen at 7 p.m. on February 13 in the Museum’s Lee Auditorium. This community program takes place on the eve of Valentine’s Day, when the open expression of love is widely celebrated. What makes The Loving Story remarkable is that it documents a relationship that could not be legally expressed and, in fact, was defined as a felony offense. Read more »

1, February 2013

Old-time Fiddler to Receive Missouri Arts Award for Cultural and Artistic Contributions to Missouri

We just found out that old-time fiddler and friend of the Missouri History Museum Vesta Johnson will be receiving a Missouri Arts Award. The Missouri Arts Council presents the award each year to people and groups who “have made profound and lasting contributions to the cultural and artistic climate of the state.”

Vesta has been playing the fiddle since the late 1920s. She has become an ambassador for the kind of music that she grew up with and is helping to ensure that the Missouri fiddle tradition lives on. Read more »

24, January 2013

Planetarium to Reflect on 50 Years

One of the most recognizable features of the St. Louis landscape is about to turn 50. The James S. McDonnell Planetarium has become a symbol of the city since it opened in 1963, and the St. Louis Science Center is celebrating with a number of events, including one that we think may be of special interest to readers of History Happens Here. Read more »